Saturday, 10 November 2007

It's snowing! (According to me, at least. According to Mike it's sleeting. I much prefer my version of events.) The finished Textured Tunic was going to have its photo shoot this afternoon, but I may need to rethink that a bit. To be updated...

Edit: Hurrah! It is now definitely, unequivecoally, Mike-satisfyingly snowing! The Textured Tunic was forced to retreat indoors, where dodgy lighting and puzzled passers-by were the order of the day. You can't tell an awful lot about it from this picture, beyond the fact that it does indeed exist, but as my semi-resident photographer appears to be asleep it's the best I can do for now:

When not standing in front of mildewed walls, I like to hang out with cardboard cutouts

I'm ridiculously proud of myself - it fits perfectly, is wonderfully soft and cosy, and was a doddle to make. (Though I hadn't got round to sewing on the button when this was taken - no prizes for guessing what the shoulder's held together with in the photo.) My only complaint is that the pattern called for eight balls of wool, so as I was planning to lengthen the sleeves I bought nine, but still have three left. Harumph - 12 €, wasted! Maybe I could make a matching top for an exceedingly small child.

Pattern: Textured Tunic from Stefanie Japel's Fitted Knits. The pattern seems to run a little large - I knit the 34 1/2" size at a slightly tighter tension than stated to get a good fit.

Yarn:
6 balls (bah! etc) of Lana Grossa Royal Tweed in colour 005

Needles:
6mm and 6.5mm 29" circulars (I'm never quite sure why people include this bit in their FO summaries - what are the odds that anyone's remotely interested in my needles? It might up the chances a bit if I told you that said needles are rather fetching shades of green and blue.)

Notes and modifications: Hmm, where to start? I'll take the "notes" bit first, and say that the photo of the finished top has been flipped in the book - the shoulder slit actually ends up on the right hand side (this confused me for a while; I was convinced that I'd somehow managed to knit the whole thing inside out). Also, unless I'm even more unobservant than previously suspected, there isn't a buttonhole for the shoulder button, so I just overlapped the front and back 'corners' and sewed them together while attaching the button.

As for mods:
a) I made the box stitch panel an inch shorter than directed, so that I could get started on the...
b)...waist shaping without wreaking havoc on the stitch pattern. (I don't mess with stitch patterns. Bad things happen.)
c) I left setting up the side slits until I was 13" in (as opposed to 10") - they were going to be above waist level otherwise (though I have a feeling this might be me rather than the pattern). Anyway, because I started them so late, and the sweater already seemed rather long, I decided not to go down the full long-side-slits-with-buttons route, and made mini-slits instead. I'm actually a bit mournful about this; I might need to make another one just to get those buttons...
d) The biggest change I made, though, was to the sleeves. I'd seen one Raveler complain that, as written, they "might as well be tourniquets", but I decided to ignore her words of wisdom on the grounds that my upper arms are pretty diminutive anyway (the last time I saw my sister, her friendly greeting of choice was "hey, your arms are looking slightly less skeletal than usual! Can you still do that freaky thing with sellotape? Erm, anyway, moving on...) A couple of ripping backs later and I can confirm that the pattern does indeed produce tourniquets! I abandoned the instructions and just invented my own sleeves, working the box stitch section even (and an inch or so shorter, so that it would line up with my shortened body panel), decreasing to the elbow and then increasing to the wrist for flared full length sleeves.
Did I mention that I'm feeling sort of proud of myself?

No comments: