Monday, 5 November 2007

Monday miscellany

1) a simple seed stitch (I know that's an Americanism, but doesn't it sound so much more appealing than moss stitch?) scarf, modelled by the ever-dignified Bangers. Not to be outdone, Bangers' long-term companion, Mash, is dropping hints for a balaclava with ear holes; I'll keep you posted on that one...

2) my Ravelry invitation came! (I'm 'Boffcat', originally enough.) I've already managed to squander spend a deeply alarming perfectly healthy amount of rummaging around on it, though rather than finding ideas to use up the yarn I already have I seem to have accidentally compiled a list of entirely unrelated projects requiring equally unrelated yarn. I'm sure it's just a teething problem. My one slight grievance with Ravelry is that you need a Flickr account to add photos to your projects, and this in turn requires you to set up a Yahoo ID. I can only assume that every subatomic particle in the known universe already has its own Yahoo ID, because it took me at least twenty minutes to find a name that wasn't taken. (When I tried the ever reliable "Boffcat", the best it could offer me was "Boffcat73". Is it honestly trying to tell me that there are already over seventy Boffcats availing themselves of Yahoo's services? Maybe we should have a reunion.)

3) the Textured Tunic is knitting up so suspiciously quickly that I've almost certainly overlooked some crucial step (like, say, making armholes). I was going to post a progress picture, but my camera is under the impression that it was left on all night and is therefore completely out of battery. (I dispute this, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.)

4) contain your excitement if you can, but I've just done a load of laundry! I realise this doesn't sound especially (or, indeed, remotely) newsworthy, but, as I don't have a washing machine in my flat, washing clothes necessitates knocking timidly on the landlord's door and asking if I can use his. It's amazing how much longer than you think you can go without...

5) and finally, 'tis the season for Christmas knitting! Curiously, my list seems to be comprised moreorless exclusively of hats this year. (More curiously still, apparently 'moreorless' isn't a word, which is a bit unfortunate given the frequency with which I use it.) One of my brothers specifically requested a beanie, but unfortunately I can't remember which brother, so I'm hedging my bets by making them for both. I was thinking of Knitty's Tychus for Rick, and something a bit more classic for Adam; possibly Harris from Noro Knits (though if he ever found out that the original was modeled on a girl, its desirability might suffer a fatal blow). I was planning to make a hat as a surprise for Mike, too, but he rather scuppered the surprise element by directly asking for one. Ohh, and last but not least, a beret and scarf set for my sister. It's proving a bit trickier to find the right pattern for that, though: I like the crisp texture of this moss stitch beret, but I'm not convinced by the i-cord crest (which, to my uneducated eye, looks more like the model has an apple stalk coming out of his head), and a matching scarf might be a bit on the dull side. The construction of SockPixie's 'La Parisenne' looks fairly Heather-proof, and the chevrons would be a bit more scarf-friendly, but I'm not sure my sister's really looking for a " kaleidoscopic effect" in her headwear, or indeed her neckwear (also, just as an aside, shouldn't it be Parisienne?). And soft, squishy and generally tempting though this beret looks, I'm guessing it requires a slightly more intimate knowledge of cable needles than having eyed them dubiously in John Lewis once or twice. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: I can't believe I forgot that it's Guy Fawkes Night today! Usually it's one of my favourite nights of the year, but alas, the Germans don't seem to have got the hang of it for some reason...Oh well, hope everyone else is marking the occasion more satisfactorily!

No comments: