Saturday, 19 January 2008

It's raining, it's pouring!

I don't normally consider rain particularly blog-worthy, what with being British and all, but in the four months I've been in Berlin I've only needed my umbrella once (admittedly this may say more about how often I leave the flat than about the weather), so I think this counts as headline-grabbing stuff.

In knittier news, I've decided to place Mike's jumper in the hands of the blocking fates. I don't much fancy having eleven balls worth of wet wool sitting around in my room, though (our flat's experiencing a bit of a damp problem; add a sodden jumper into the mix and the atmosphere might no longer support human life), so I'm waiting until the imminent arrival of a dehumidifier before attempting it. In the meanwhile, I've started swatching for my next project - je vous pr├ęsente the Surplice Bodice Camisole from Knitting Lingerie Style!
Isn't it sweet? I chose this example (courtesy of a Raveler named Vilma) because it's more or less the exact colour of the yarn I'm using; the chocolate brown Classic Elite Provence I showed a couple of posts ago. I don't think I've ever knit with pure cotton before, and I've been finding it a bit tiring on the hands. Plus I'm not entirely sure how much tighter you're meant to knit cotton than other fibres; the latest section of my swatch bears a startling resemblance to cardboard.

On a completely unrelated note, marvel at the cutene
ss of my aubergines!
Alright, that's actually a stock photo; I was too lazy to take a picture of mine. But they look exactly like that! In fact, the Chinese supermarket I got them from appears to have an entire refrigerator unit dedicated to unfamiliar aubergine varieties of varying cuteness, the most intriguing of which are these. I thought they were peppercorns until I read the label. Being a sucker for all things miniature (remind me not to go to Japan; my credit rating would never recover) I stocked up on a selection of baby vegetables, and now feel like a giant every time I open the fridge.

No comments: