Monday, 21 January 2008

Who ya gonna call? Stashbusters!

The swatch for the Surplice Bodice Camisole is drying (by which I just mean that I've hung it up to dry - I highly doubt that it actually is drying, given the dismal damp), and I'm now twiddling my thumbs for want of a craftier use to put them to. Did I mention that I'm meant to be working on grammar exercises? So what better procrastination than a spot of mental stash-busting!

When I first started knitting I was sure I'd never accumulate a stash. Don't laugh! My logic was flawless: you buy yarn for a project, you use it for said project; you have, at most, a few odds and ends left over. But somehow things didn't quite pan out like that (yes, yes, hide your astonishment). Irresistible sales, abandoned projects and the odd gift or two have meant that, while I by no means have the kind of mammoth, threatening-to-engulf-entire-loft-extensions yarn collection that most of blog-land seems to, I've got enough to make me think twice about buying more. Most in-need-of-using-up are ten balls of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK; seven skeins (or maybe hanks; is there a difference?) of Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk and three of Classic Elite Provence. I'm a bit stumped, to be honest: they all knit up to about 22 st/4", and for some reason very few of my patterns call for that sort of tension. I'm toying with a couple of ideas:

Puff-Sleeved Feminine Cardigan from Fitted Knits

Laced-Front Sweater from Knitting Lingerie Style

...but nothing's really clamouring "knit meeeee!" I may have to put my designing cap on (does anyone else hear that ominous music in the background?).

The real trouble with mental stashbusting is that you come up against so many things you'd like to knit but don't have the right yarn for. Yet. Because as we all know, the simplest solution to not having the right yarn is to buy some! The reason I have a stash problem in the first place may be becoming clearer...

1 comment:

Alana said...

Ooooh I want to knit that one too! but yes, have no wool/cotton/anything else to knit it with yet, and you've just aptly described my problem of having too many other things that I don't know what to make with! also, my circular needle collection hasn't yet turned up, which is also stifling productivity somewhat..