Monday, 11 February 2008

In which I try to brazen out the fact that I haven't so much as touched a knitting needle in three weeks

Back in the good old days when Mike and I actually lived in the same country (it's the little things that make all the difference to a relationship, don't you think?) we used to take it in turns to cook each other three course meals. Admittedly we had slightly different approaches (I believe in things like recipes and scales; he believes in things like Google and the remoter reaches of his imagination), but there's nothing quite like dispatching your other half to the sitting room with a glass of wine and orders to stay put while you set about dirtying every utensil you own, pausing only to call out things like "erm, you like carbon, right?".

Anyway, with a two-week trip to visit him just a few days away I've been obsessively diligently ploughing through recipes trying to put together the perfect menu, which has been a bit more of a challenge than usual because we'll only have a two-ring hob (electric at that - can you hear the violins?). No oven, no grill, and no separate eating area conveniently out of sight of the culinary devastation I generally leave in my wake. I think, though, that I might have managed it! Stay tuned to see if this confidence is justified, or, if you're anywhere near as impatient as me, snaffle a sneak preview.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Good for people to know.