Tuesday, 18 March 2008

When a crochet hook is a less surprising thing to find in your bed than another person, your life may have gone ever so slightly skewy somewhere.

But to the point: the knitting on the Unpronounceable Shell is finished! All I need to do now is seam the shoulders, whip up a neckband, block, and take some unintentionally artistically out of focus pictures. I've held off casting on for the Drawstring Chemise, though, because my row gauge is so stratospherically off that my usual turning-a-blind-eye technique might not get me very far. As for the lovely Yosemite, in the end I decided to hold out until I can get (read "afford") some different coloured yarn, as I think the brown Provence would be a bit dull, and the red a bit hard to wear in that kind of top. (Do not attempt to probe too deeply into my logic on this one, as it may not stand up all that well.) So anyway, I'm currently without project! Any suggestions? Should I reinstate my beginning-to-curl-around-the-edges intention of making the Surplice Bodice Camisole? Plow ahead with the Drawstring Chemise, studiously ignoring any gauge issues? Or acknowledge the fact that it's snowed three days in a row and knitting summer tops in cotton might not be the brightest idea I've ever had?

3 comments:

Connie said...

Do you mind telling me what your row gauge was for the Chemise?

I might be able to help...

Boffcat said...

Bless, thank you! If memory serves it was 24 rows/4", but my stitch gauge was a bit chunkier too, and given your comments about fine gauge being preferable for summer tops I thought it'd be best to leave it till I got something better suited. It's such a pretty, delicate design that I don't want to do my all-too-common trick of messing it up through impatient yarn choice...

Connie said...

Hmmm, that is a bit bigger. Good luck with your search for a camisole pattern :)