Monday, 5 May 2008

Note to self: think of a devestatingly clever title

OK, I misled you slightly about the knitting content of this post (and, as it turns out, the timing - oops!). I have a grand total of one knitting-related line to impart, namely: I finally, finally picked up the Surplice Bodice Camisole again! (What, you were expecting something more interesting? Ptth, you should know me better than that by now...)

I do have a couple of fairly watertight excuses for being such a knitterly slugabed, though. Firstly, I just moved flats (my definition of "just" being "recently enough that I have yet to unpack"), and secondly I disappeared to Munich for a week. I don't know why I bother to take knitting on holiday, seeing as I hardly ever give it so much as a glance while I'm there, but it turns out that I sliiightly underestimated the length of the train journey back to Berlin and the Camisole came to the rescue. Who knows, next time I might even have a finished object to show! (Which would make for a total of, what, three FOs this year? I should really start knitting socks or something.)

Anyway, in the meantime will you accept a couple of holiday pictures in lieu of knitting ones? First up, and possibly the blurriest photo ever to grace this blog (but I didn't take this one! As I suppose should be obvious from the fact that I'm in it):

Beeeer. With my head for scale.

This was in the Hofbräuhaus, apparently Munich's most popular attraction, where the standard measure of beer is a litre. The standard amount of beer I am capable of consuming is about 0.01 litres, so this one was returned to its rightful owner pretty promptly.


And this is Schloss Neuschwanstein, also known (by us, at least) as the fairytale castle. It's got everything you could want from a palace: breathtaking setting, elaborate decor, plastic cave between bedroom and sitting room... (Something must have got lost in the translation there; surely they didn't have plastic in 1869?)

I also managed to fit in a wool shop excursion or two, and can happily recommend both Geknöpft und Zugenäht (which is part of the Ludwig Beck department store) and Wollkorb, which has several branches around town (I went to the one off Sendlingerstr.). The only problem with both of them is that a lot of the stock is behind the counter, so you don't really feel you can browse freely. And in a tragic victory of financial self-preservation over lust, I left empty handed. (Financial self-preservation may not have won the war though - did I mention that my new flat is that little bit closer to La Laine?)

Finally - because I wouldn't want you to think that my television viewing consists solely of late-night boxing - I am now shamelessly addicted to Germany's Next Topmodel. No smirking, it's genius I tell you! Unlike in the virtually unwatchable American version, the contestants are a) capable of forming coherent sentences, and b) generally friendly and non-bitchy. Plus it's presented by Heidi Klum. Heidi Klum! I mean...I've actually heard of her! (No offense, Tyra, but...Heidi Klum!) Obviously my main reason for watching, though, is to improve my German. Ahem. (Incidentally, most used words on the programme: "hammer", "geil" and "aufgeregt". I may have exhausted the show's vocabulary-expanding potential.)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay! Schloss Neuschwanstein! I really wanted to visit it in Germany but ran out of time. Maybe next visit.

That beer looks huuuuge!

xox Sarah