Sunday, 6 July 2008

Surprise!

What's that I see in the distance there? Surely it can't be...but wait, it is! That most elusive of creatures, a finished Surplice Bodice Camisole!

Yes, yes, spoilsports, I know it's not an action shot, but do I at least get half points?

Did I mention that this was incredibly, comatose-state-inducingly dull to knit? If I ever start making "maybe-I'll-whip-up-another-one" noises, somebody please prod me reprovingly with a needle.

Pattern: Surplice Bodice Camisole from Knitting Lingerie Style. I don't seem to have kept any notes for this project (pretend to be amazed at this display of disorganisation), but if memory serves I was working at a tighter gauge than stipulated, so followed the instructions for a size 36" or 38" in order to end up with something coming in at just under 32". Which sounds tiny, but my fear of Cotton S-t-r-e-t-c-h Syndrome knows no bounds.

Yarn: 3 skeins of Classic Elite Provence in "Special Walnut". Unfortunately the colour's a bit washed-out in real life, which is a problem I keep running into with dark browns - they look chocolatey rich in the ball, but when knit up turn out to be disappointingly anaemic.

Needles: Presumably I did indeed use some, but my non-existent notes are understandably hazy on specifics.

Mods: Not enough! I tinkered with a couple of things to compensate for my guage and added an inch or two to the length, but I really should have made the whole thing even longer. And in the highly unlikely event that I were to make this again (see needle poking instructions, above) I'd use something other than 100% cotton, so I could knit the lace section in the round without worrying about the dreaded cotton stretch factor. (Plus I had the damndest time working out how to seam the lace, as there weren't any selvage stitches, so knitting in the round would also save much desperate grovelling on Ravelry.)

So there you have it! It's...OK. In order for me to really warm to it I'd need to dye it a darker, cooler shade of brown and add another inch or so to the lace. The chances of either of these things ever happening are about as good as the chances of me changing my name to Honoratia and setting up as a dog aromatherapist, but what's life without a cheering dose of self-delusion?

2 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

It's really pretty! For some reason the words "Special Walnut" made me chortle uncontrollably...even more than the idea of a dog aromatherapist :D

Muckla said...

Wow! This looks really cute! I love the lace pattern!