Saturday, 2 August 2008

See, this is why I don't post progress pictures very often


There's only so much enthusiasm you can drum up for what is essentially a long, blue knitted worm.

When I was a kid I had a little gizmo called a knitting dolly, which is used for French knitting. French knitting is, as far as I can tell, the art of producing woollen worms. You wrap the yarn around the four pins protruding from the doll's head, in what at the time seemed like an incredibly complicated sequence (what can I say, I was an uncoordinated child), pull on the yarn end dangling from the doll's "foot", and voilĂ ! An inordinately long time later, a worm is born! My interest in French knitting soon dwindled, there being a limited number of things you can do with knitted worms, but I was reminded of it a couple of days ago when making the I-cord drawstring for the Drawstring Chemise. At just shy of two metres long it's the longest worm I've ever produced; a proud achievement for any ex-French knitter. Even better, though, it actually has a purpose in life, which is more than I can say for any of my earlier invertebrate creations.

As you may have already deduced from the fact that I'm now fiddling around with details like I-cord, the chemise is creeping towards the finish line. I mean, it's seamed and everything! All I've still got to do is finish knitting the drawstring casing, attach it and work the underarm edgings. Knitting a separate casing isn't part of the original pattern, but rather the latest strategy in my never-ending struggle to marginally tone down my resemblance to a linebacker. It's a life's work, I tell you.

Anyway, I'll hopefully have something slightly more substantial than a worm to show you sometime next week! If not I'll come up with an excellent and incontrovertible excuse, to be fabricated closer to the time for maximum freshness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worms being useful garden friends also have multiple uses in their woolen incarnation - give me a while, I'll think of a few....

Anushka said...

Oh, the art of making worms. I luckily managed to sidestep the horror of French Knitting Dollies, but my sister did not (has not) escaped the same fate. Actually she rebelled by creating a huge tangle, not allowing me to cut it off, throwing the stick into the ether and disappearing into a sulk. (She's 5. This was on Boxing Day.) I really like the cap you made, in your last post. Nothing like a big button. And regarding your brother - with the least possible offence to you meant - he isa teenaged boy after all.