Friday, 13 February 2009

Walk on the mild side

6. Greek Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

I was slightly dubious about trying this one - Jill boasts that it results in "big, light, bouncy meatballs," which is all very well but I'm not sure that I want my meatballs big, light and bouncy. (Is bouncy a desirable quality in food? Have you ever complimented a meal with an enthusiastic, "mmmmm, bouncy!"?) But moving on! Despite its inclusion in the 'Slow Food' chapter the recipe isn't actually all that time-consuming; it took me maybe 45 minutes from start to finish, and that included a fair amount of thumb-twiddling. The meatballs (beef mince, wine-soaked bread, onion, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, parsley, seasoning and a little egg to bind) are first baked and then simmered in the tomato sauce (passata, red wine, ketchup, tomato purée, olive oil, garlic, bay leaves and a pinch of sugar. Yup, that's three different types of liquidised tomato). I made the full amount of sauce (which is meant to serve four), as I thought I remembered Sarah tring the recipe and saying she'd found the sauce a bit on the stingy side. That might have happened only in my head though, as I can't find a mention of it anywhere on her blog, and as for the sauce quantities, see for yourselves...

And this one was positively restrained compared to Mike's (there is rice somewhere under there, honest).

Erm, yes, if I were to make this again I'd probably halve the sauce along with the rest of the recipe. It's pretty unlikely that I will make it again, though, as it was a little bit disappointing. Perfectly nice but a bit...bland. The meatballs were indeed light and bouncy (and I remain unconvinced that these are traits I'm after in a meatball), but somehow not all that meaty-tasting, and the sauce wasn't wildly exciting either. Hmmph! Oh well, hopefully tomorrow's dinner will be more memorable - stay tuned for a three-course Valentine's extravaganza!

Mike says: "Was excited at the portion sizes, but the meatballs were bland and not meaty enough for my tastes, though saying that I'm sure some people like light fluffy meatballs. I think pasta would be a nicer accompaniment than rice. Until next time gentle readers. xx"

2 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Hey, I have this cookbook! I've used it a wee bit, and I do like it, but I'm not in love with it. I do highly recommend the banana berry ice cream though.

This looks good, anyway - but yeah, bouncy isn't my first adjective of choice for describing food! :)

Boffcat said...

Ohh, I remember you making that ice cream! I've been telling myself that I'm saving it for when the whether warms up and I get round to buying a new battery for my ice cream machine; it's debateable which of those is the unlikelier...